Sunday, February 20, 2011

2/19/11: PTC Sponsors FIRST FTC Competition

My company PTC is sponsoring the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Tech Challenge so I was able to participate in the last event at North Andover High School. This is a competition for High School students to build a robot and compete with it in the ring and in many other categories which I as a judge interviewed and judged them on. These included Innovation of Design, Design aspects, Motivation, Connection with the community, Think - for their Engineering Notebook, and Inspire as a combination award of who placed highly and did well in matches. Here is one robot with a PTC logo on it. Vision for FIRST: "To transform our culture by creating a world where science and technology are celebrated and where young people dream of becoming science and technology leaders." - Dean Kamen, Founder It was so nice to see so many young people interested in science and engineering. It is great we have something like this for young people. Many of the groups we spoke to were very inspiring and were very impressive individuals. I know it must have been intimidating to have a panel of 3 judges asking them questions, but the enthusiasm for their robots showed through. And for me it was nice seeing some young ladies involved also. Being one of 3 women in my Aerospace Engineering classes I knew what it was like being in the minority in an Engineering field. Another PTC Logo.
HAX a very cool robot.
My husband and kids came to watch. Who knows maybe Evan will get involved in the Junion FIRST LEGO League. What fun, hopefully I will get to participate again.

No comments: